Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, August 26, 2013

Earthling by Mark Fearing...



How I Heard About It: While attending a workshop by Donalyn Miller I saw this book for sale.  I am always drawn to graphic novels as I know my students will enjoy them.  I thought the title was cool and the cover and illustrations drew me to the book.  I added it to my pile of books to be purchased and looked forward to reading this graphic novel. 

What It Is About:  Bud is moving to a new house with his dad.  His dad is a scientist.  Bud isn't excited about starting a new school feeling like an outcast.  On the morning of the first day of school, Bud gets on the wrong bus.  The bus he does board, takes him to outer space and lands on a new and strange planet.  Bud meets a bunch of strange and unusual characters that reside on the planet.  His goal is to get back to planet Earth, but of course faces many obstacles along the way. 


What I Thought Of It:  This was an entertaining and enjoyable graphic novel.  It was almost like an old fashion comic book.  The color used in the graphics was incredible and so vibrant.  I thought the story was really strong at the beginning, a little weak in the middle, and then strong again at the end.  I liked the book was broken down into chapters, but made it feel more like a novel instead of a continuous graphic novel story. 
  
Who Should Read It:  I can see young readers really enjoying this book.  The space theme will pull children into the story.  They will enjoy the strange and crazy characters that are presented in the story.  There are also some crazy athletic games/competitions throughout the book which will be a hit with kids.  This is definitely a stand-alone book and children in grades 3-6 will eat it up.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 STARS



No comments:

Post a Comment