Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Milo: Sticky Notes & Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg...

How I Heard About It:  While I was at a workshop with Donalyn Miller this past week, I had the chance to browse a large collection of books.  Several of the teachers attending this workshop pointed out this book.  Anytime I get a recommendation from fellow teachers, I can't pass it up.

What It Is About:  Milo is on his fifth home, his fifth school, and his fifth time trying to fit in.  When Milo starts his new school he instantly has a crush on the most popular girl (Summer) in his grade.  He spends most of the school year trying to get her to notice him.  During this time he becomes friends with Marshall and Hillary.  As their friendship grows, Milo learns he can share his whole self with these two peers.  As painful as it is, he comes to realize it is better to open up yourself to others instead of keeping it all buried deep inside.  Not only do Milo's friends bring out the best in him, but his dad and the neighbor lady will end up affecting his life greatly.   

What I Thought Of It:  This was definitely a #bookaday.  I started it yesterday and could not put it down.  Based on the cover and the graphics in the book, I thought it would be a light-hearted book.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  This was a touching story about a boy learning to deal with a great loss.  Don't get me wrong, there were still fun and silly moments, but the underlying tone of this story is of great importance and touches the reader's heart.  It was a completely enjoyable read.   

Who Should Read It:  For myself, I'm thinking of using this book as a book club selection for my fourth grade class.  This book will appeal to many readers and lend itself to great discussion.  It could also make a great read aloud for grades three through six.  Independent readers between fourth and sixth grade could handle this book easily. 

Rating:  4 Stars out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment