Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Notice & Note by Kylene Beers and Robert E. Probst...

How I Heard About It:  As I started to follow more and more people on Twitter, I kept seeing this book being mentioned over and over.  Being a teacher that thrives on making my practice of teaching reader better and better, I ordered the book and couldn't wait to see what everyone was talking about. 


What It Is About:  This book presents six reading strategies that will help our young readers become better and more engaged readers.  These strategies foster how to read more closely and gain more from the text.  The strategies are as follows...


                                                 1st:     Contrasts and Contradictions
                                                 2nd:    Aha Moments

                                                 3rd:    Tough Questions
                                                 4th:    Words of the Wiser

                                                 5th:    Again and Again
                                                 6th:    Memory Moment 


What I Thought Of It:  This was by far my favorite professional read of the summer.  I'm looking forward to teaching my fourth graders these six strategies.  They make such sense and I can see how they would assist readers in becoming better and "close" readers.  The text was easy to read, follow, and understand how the strategies can be taught.  I have found myself using the strategies as I do my own reading of middle-grade books and adult books.    

Who Should Read It:  Any teacher that works with children and their reading comprehension, needs to add this professional resource to their collection.  I can see it working with elementary, middle-school, and high school readers.  The teacher would just need to adapt it to their particular audience.  Do yourself a favor and read it.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment