Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Page by Paige by Laura Lee Gulledge


How I Heard About It:  To be honest I can't really remember how I heard about this book.  I did see it on our librarian's desk this summer.  I think she is going to add it to our library collection.  I grabbed this book (and a couple of others) to read before the start of the school year.  I'd better get them back to the library before she notices them missing. 

What It Is About: This is a graphic novel about Paige.  Both of her parents are writers and they named her Paige Turner.  Pretty fun uh?  Anyway, Paige has moved into a new town and is the new girl in school.  She is a "struggling" artist, but isn't comfortable with her artistic ability.  The story revolves around Paige, her new friends at school, getting use to her new surroundings, and finding her place.  Each chapter has a "rule" title that corresponds with the chapter and what goes on in that chapter.   

What I Thought Of It:  I was surprised when I first started this graphic novel.  I thought it was for middle-grade readers, but quickly realized this story is geared toward middle-school and/or high school readers.  The themes and ideas presented in this book are for a more mature audience.  To me it was a so-so story line.  I guess I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.  I thought the presentation of the graphics along with the text was sometimes hard to follow. 

Who Should Read It: This is definitely a book that is geared toward middle-school  and high school girls.  I'm thinking girls dealing with a new school, new friends, or changes in her life will be able to relate to this story and Paige's journey through the pages.  Happy Reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment