Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, April 11, 2014

A Dog's Way Home by Bobbie Pyron...

How I Heard About It:  During an online "Twitter" conversation about books for fourth grade readers, the author Bobbie Pyron came up.  I bought two of her books.  This title and another one called The Dogs of Winter.  After reading The Dogs of Winter, I used it as a read aloud with my class and they loved it.  After giving this book a try, I'm thinking of picking it for our final "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.  

What It Is About:  Abby is an eleven-year-old girl living in the Blue Ridge Mountains with her parents and her beloved Shetland sheepdog Tam.  They have just recently finished competing in a dog show and are on their way home with Abby's mom.  They have a several hour drive ahead of them when the family is in a car accident.  Tam's cage is thrown from the car and he becomes separated from Abby and her mother.  After spending time in the hospital Abby and her mother must return home without Tam which just about kills Abby because she knows he is out there somewhere alone and needs her.  The rest of the story is told in alternating chapters about how Abby and Tam are each dealing with their separation and trying to get back to each other.  

What I Thought Of It:  Being a dog-lover this story had me from page one.  I absolutely loved the novel and could not put it down.  The writing was beautiful and suspenseful at the same time.  It was amazing how much I felt for the dog and could completely image what Tam was going through as he struggled to survive on his own in the wild.  I also enjoyed reading about Abby, her love for her dog, and how she tried to make the best of a very difficult situation.  The characters that came into Abby's life were also interesting to read about.  The entire experience was top-notch and I can't wait for my book club readers to finish up our book club year with this incredible story. 

Who Should Read It:  Well everyone of course!  This is the perfect novel for readers in grades four through six.  It would also make an excellent read aloud for any class in third grade and above.  If you have readers that love dogs and dog stories, then you have to put this novel in their hands.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment