Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness...

How I Heard About It:  At the beginning of 2014 I was chatting on Twitter about reading goals for the upcoming year.  One of my goals was to read a new series either for young adults or adults.  This series came up in the discussion and many of my Twitter "friends" raved about it.  I ordered it right away, but just recently got to it.  They were certainly correct in giving this book (and I'm sure the series) such high marks.  

What It Is About:  Todd Hewitt is about to become a man as he is about to turn thirteen in the "New World."  Todd has grown up in Prentisstown with Ben and Cillian because both his mother and father died when he was a young boy.  Life in Prentisstown is quite different as everyone can hear every one's thoughts and inner talking.  It makes for quite an environment filled with chaos.  After Todd finds that they might be more to the New World than just his own town, his "uncles" know it is time to send Todd off to safety and away from the secrets and dangers of Prentisstown.  At the beginning of his journey he comes across a girl named Viola who has traveled to New World with her parents who have also died.  The two young people embark on a journey to have "Haven" which is where they will find safety and answers to all of their questions.  During the journey they meet many dangers, tough choices, and ruthless people.  All along the journey Todd keeps his most prized possession with him; the knife that Ben and Cillian gave to him when he began his run from the town that could destroy him. 

What I Thought Of It:  To be honest, I don't normally enjoy fantasy, but this was a most enjoyable read for me.  Once I started the novel, I couldn't put it down and found the story line to be fascinating.  I often forgot I was even reading fantasy or maybe it would fit more into science fiction.  The plot moved along at a satisfying pace and I was curious to find out what was going to happen to Todd and Viola as they traveled to Haven.  One of the aspects of this book that I enjoyed most was just when you thought things were going to calm down or come to a resolution, something new and surprising would occur leaving me shocked and turning the next page.  I loved this book and have ordered book two and three and can't wait for them to arrive. 

Who Should Read It:  I believe this book is technically written for young adults, but I know many of my adult reader friends would eat this book up.  Even if you aren't a fan of fantasy/science fiction, I know you will enjoy this story from beginning to end.  I will definitely be recommending this novel to all of my reading friends.  If you know of middle-school and/or high school readers that enjoy books with a great story line, then this is a book (series) you need to tell them about.  Happy Reading! 

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment