Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

The Chicken Squad - The First Misadventure by Doreen Cronin...

How I Heard About It:  Right before school let out, our school librarian shared with me many new titles she had ordered for the fall of 2014.  This was one of the titles in her stack that I grabbed and bought home for the summer.  

What It Is About:  The Chicken Squad consists of four fuzzy little chicks named Dirt, Sugar, Poppy, and Sweetie.  This first adventure begins when a squirrel comes barreling into the chicken coop in a panic about something big and scary in the yard.  Tail the dog gets involved and all the animals work together to figure out what the big and scary thing is in the yard.  Of course before they actually get the answer, there are lots of adventures, hijinx, and fun along the way.



What I Thought Of It:   This was a fun little book with lots of elements that will appeal to young readers.  The format is both chapter book and picture book.  Even as an adult reader, I was entertained by the story line, the pictures, and the whole experience.  I look forward to the next book in this series.  

Who Should Read It:  This would be the perfect book for a second, third, or fourth grade reader to tackle on their own.  It would also be especially perfect for a struggling reader that would feel success after reading this edition of The Chicken Squad.  I also think that a reluctant reader would find this book to be quite appealing.  I will be teaching summer school in July and look forward to sharing this book with the readers in my class.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars 




No comments:

Post a Comment