Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Three-Ring Rascals: The Greatest Star on Earth by Kate and Sarah Klise...

How I Heard About It:  I bought this second book in the series the same day I came across the first book.  I always enjoy when I'm able to purchase two or more books in the same series that I haven't read yet.  

What It Is About:  The circus crew is back with another adventure.  Sir Sidney must again take a rest from the circus because of his "worrywart" that has appeared on this nose.  Since he has given Barnabas Brambles another chance at running the circus, he puts him in charge again.  While Barnabas takes the circus out on the road, there is a contest from the local paper looking for the "Greatest Star on Earth."  Each member of the circus wants to win the contest and goes out on their own to make themselves known to the judge of the contest.  As each tries to gain the attention of the judge, and the world, they realize they might not be as great as they think they are when performing alone.  The two mice Bert and Gert come to the rescue once again and try to save Brambles from making more mistakes with the circus.

What I Thought Of It:  I read both books today and enjoy them both.  They are easy reads and fun to interact with.  As with the first book, I enjoyed the illustrations, graphics, and visuals that are used throughout the book.  The plot moves along nicely and I certainly got a kick out of the animal characters.  In my opinion, these two books would be very appealing to young readers.  

Who Should Read It:  Both books could be used in a second, third, fourth, or even fifth grade classroom.  Being that they are chapter books, they would appeal to readers in these grades.  I also think they would be perfect for struggling and/or reluctant readers because of the way the stories are presented with the text and illustrations.  I will be sharing this series with my fourth graders (soon to be fifth graders) during summer school in July.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars 




No comments:

Post a Comment