Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher by Dana Alison Levy...

How I Heard About It:  I can't remember where exactly I heard about this book, but I'm thinking it was on Twitter.  I bought it awhile back and it has been sitting on my nightstand since.  I picked it up yesterday and finished the story today.  

What It Is About:  This is the story of one year in the Fletcher family.  The family includes "Dad" Fletcher and "Papa" Fletcher, twelve year old Sam, ten year old Jax, ten year old Eli, and five year old Frog.  There are also a couple of pets roaming around the house.  All the boys in the family have been adopted by the dads and have filled their home with lots of activity, action, and most of all love.  Sam is an athlete who is debating whether to audition for the school play.  Jax is a fourth grader who is dealing with his best buddy making some choices that Jax is not so sure about.  Eli is also in fourth grade, but has asked his parents if he can attend a private school that focuses on academics more than the public school.  Frog is starting kindergarten and has quite the wild imagination including several imaginary friends and animals.  To top it all off, they have a "crabby" neighbor named Mr. Nelson who is a hard man to get to know.  During the year, the family celebrates their many holidays, school ups and downs, and all of the traditions they have established as a "modern" family.  

What I Thought Of It:  I absolutely adored this book.  I could not put it down.  I tweeted that I wanted to be a part of the Fletcher family.  The two dads were so cool and were doing such an incredible job of raising their four sons.  Each son in the family warmed my heart and were written about so vividly.  I enjoyed reading about the relationships between each family member and how they interacted with each other.  The addition of the neighbor Mr. Nelson was an added bonus to the whole story.  The stories that were told were heart-warming and touching.  My only concern about this book is how I would use it with my students.  I'm not sure my school and/or district would be ready for me to share a book about a family with two dads.  As sad as that is, it is the reality of the district that I'm in.  

Who Should Read It:  This is an awesome story and I hope many adults and young readers will get to enjoy it.  Being that there are two dads in the story, you might have to be careful on who you promote this book to.  The reading level would be fine for any student in grades four and above.  The subject matter (just the dad aspect) might be better for students in grades six and above.  This would be an awesome book for parents to read with their own children in their home.  There could be some great discussions about the different types of families that are out there.  This story definitely needs to be shared and read by as many people as possible.  This is one family not to be missed!  Happy Reading...

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment