Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Us by David Nicholls...

How I Heard About It:   There is nothing better than getting a book recommendation from a friend that is just as much of an avid reader as I am.  This book title came from that friend and I instantly went out and bought it.  

What It Is About:   Douglas learns from his wife, Connie, that she is thinking about leaving him after twenty some years of marriage.  Their son, Albie, is graduating from high school, and they have a family trip planned to "tour" Europe for several weeks over the summer before he heads off to college.  Even with this announcement from Connie, the couple decide to take this trip with their son and "see" what happens.  Douglas is a scientific type guy and Connie is an artsy creative woman.  This difference brought them together and also caused problems during periods of their marriage.  Albie has always been closer to his mother and felt that his dad didn't quite "get him."  During the travels through Europe, Douglas remembers back over the years of his relationship with Connie; both the high points and the low points.  After a difficult moment between the three of them, Albie takes off on his own, Connie returns home, and Douglas has some tough decisions to make.  

What I Thought Of It:  I read several breaks over my winter break and I must say that this was my favorite.  I absolutely loved it.  Once I started, I couldn't put it down.  I enjoyed how the story was told from the point of view of Douglas.  It was different to hear from the husband's point of view about his marriage, his status, and his beliefs.  As a husband myself, I could relate to this.  I enjoyed reading about the relationship between both Douglas and Connie and Douglas and Albie.  The story went back and forth in time and this worked really well for this story.   I'm so glad that my friend told me about this book and was such a satisfying read.  

Who Should Read It:  Everyone should read this book.  If you read the author's first novel called One Day, then I'm sure you will also enjoy his newest book.  This is a great work of fiction, an interesting story, fascinating characters, and a most satisfying read.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment