Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Wonder Wednesday #76...

Wonder Wednesday - NCTE Convention

*If I am completely honest, I really wasn't familiar with this convention until the last few years or so.

*Once I got on Twitter and started following all of these amazing educators, I came to know many different annual conventions.

*I would jealously follow their posts on Twitter as they attended wonderful meetings, workshops, and talks.

*One of my bucket list items for my teaching career was to attend one of these conventions "some day."

*An author friend of mine (Erin Soderberg) sent me a Tweet earlier this year telling me that the 2015 NCTE convention was going to be right her in Minneapolis.  We are both from here.

*I was so excited.  I went to my principal and asked to attend and she replied that "We would find a way for me to go."

*While at a Donalyn Miller workshop in December, we talked that the convention was going to be here in Minneapolis.  She also mentioned that the Nerdy Book Club was putting together a proposal to present at the convention.  She then asked if I would like to be a part of this proposal.  I think I was so shocked that I stammered an answer that yes I would.

*A few weeks after the workshop, I received an email from Colby Sharp asking if I wanted to be a part of the proposal.  I replied; YES!

*I wasn't sure what I was getting into, but I knew I couldn't pass up this opportunity.  Talk about being in a completely different league.

*Here are the members of this proposal.  You will see how out of my league I am, but what an honor to be included...



Middle-grade children’s book authors, Cynthia Lord, Liesl Shurtliff, and Kelly Barnhill

Brian Wyzlic, middle school teacher

Cindy Minnich, high school teacher

Colby Sharp, elementary teacher

Katherine Sokolowksi, elementary teacher

Jessica Lifshitz, elementary teacher and host of #LGBTQ chat

Shanetia Clark, an assistant professor of literacy

Teri Lesesne, professor of children’s and adolescents’ literature

Patrick Andrus, elementary teacher (Still Shocking to see my name here)


*At this point, we don't know if the proposal will be accepted or not.

*I believe the group will be notified in May.

*No matter what happens, it is truly an honor and a WONDER that this opportunity has been made available to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment