Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Noggin by John Corey Whaley...

How I Heard About It:  I'm not sure if I "heard" of this book or "saw" this book.  I just remember the cover grabbing my attention every time I would browse the young adult section at my local book store.  I finally bought it to read and boy am I glad I am.  

What It Is About:  Travis is one of a kind.  Well, actually two of a kind.  He is the second person to have his head attached to a new body after his first body "died."  After he died of cancer, his head was "frozen" for five years until a new body could be found for him.  When he awakes five years later, he feels like no time has gone by, but of course it has for all the people in his life.  His parents have tried to deal with his "death" as have his two best friends Cate and Kyle.  Travis is still sixteen years old, but everyone else has had five years behind them.  Travis returns to high school to experience it for a "second" time.  While trying to fit in at school, he also tries to maintain his relationships with Cate and Kyle.  Unfortunately Cate has met someone else and is engaged to be married.  Kyle left Travis with a major secret before he died, and now the two of them must learn how to deal with this secret.  The biggest change might actually be with Travis' parents  and he will learn how to deal with their change along with all the changes he is dealing with.  Lucky, he has a mentor with the first man to have this type of "surgery."

What I Thought Of It:  I loved this story.  At first I thought it would feel some what like sci-fi, which isn't my favorite, but it didn't feel that way at all.  The premise worked and I believed every detail in this story.  I could feel what each of these characters was going through.  The author did an outstanding job of conveying their thoughts, emotions, and feelings through the written word.  I so enjoyed the character of Travis and really came to know his two sidekicks in Cate and Kyle.  The story moved along quickly and the plot never slowed down.  One aspect that stood out to me was that the last few words of each chapter became the next chapter title.  I thought this was kind of cool.

Who Should Read It:  I could see any high school reader eating up this story.  The health aspect of it would be appealing, but everything that happens to Travis throughout the story can be related to by readers this age.  Adult readers that enjoy young adult literature will also find this a fulfilling experience.  It is definitely a read for high school and above readers.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment