Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins...

How I Heard About It:  I'm all about book buzz and reading the next "great" book.  It seems everywhere I looked I saw press about this novel.  I bought it and put in my TBR pile.  It was interesting when a member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club) picked this book to be read next.  I was thrilled.  

What It Is About:  Rachel is a divorced, out-of-work, alcoholic woman living  in one-bedroom that she rents from a friend.  She takes the train to work every morning and returns every night; even though she has been fired from her job. During these commutes she notices a couple living in a house down the street from her X-husband and his new wife and their baby daughter.  Rachel begins to create a story about this couple including fictional names, jobs, and the feelings they have for each other.  During one of the train commutes, she notices something in this couple's home that changes the story she has created in her mind.  Rachel learns that the names of "her couple" are Megan and Scott.  It hits the news that Megan has disappeared and on the night she disappeared Rachel was on their street drunk and stalking her X-husband and his family.  She has cuts and bruises on herself, but doesn't remember what happened that night.  Rachel does know that she should share the news of what she saw from the train with Megan's husband Scott, but isn't sure about to go about this.  As she continues to drink on and off, deal with her X-husband, and making sure that Scott and the police know what she saw; Rachel life becomes more complicated than ever.

What I Thought Of It:  "Unputdownable."  That is how I would describe this novel.  I loved it.  There is nothing greater than finding a wonderful book with a story that won't let go.  The plot was fast moving, intriguing, and full of fun surprises.  The characters are also unique and some I loved and of course some I hated.  I gobbled up this novel in about two days and was quite a satisfying read.  

Who Should Read It:  I would think all adult readers that enjoy fiction will enjoy the novel.  I've seen it said that this is the next "Gone Girl" and I do see similarities between the two books, but also many differences.  The book would be perfect for a book club and I'm excited to talk about it with my fellow book club members.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment