Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Crossover by Kwame Alexander...

How I Heard About It:  Well, of course I heard about this book when it was announced as the 2015 Newbery winner.  I hadn't heard about it before hand so I was excited to get my hands on it.  

What It Is About:  This novel is written in verse.  The story follows twelve-year-old Josh and his twin brother Jordan.  They are both talented basketball players on their school team.  Their dad was a successful basketball played "back in the day."  The boys have always been close, but as they navigate middle-school, basketball, family, and friends; they begin to drift apart in different ways.  They learn that their actions have consequences that will affect their relationship and their family life as they know it.  

What I Thought Of It:  I'm not normally a fan of stories written in verse, but this book captivated me from the first page to the very last page.  Even though it was told in verse, it still felt like a story told in novel format.  The language was absolutely incredible and was quite fun to read.  I enjoyed how it was a play with words, but also told a really powerful story.  I can see why it won the Newbery award this year.

Who Should Read It:  The Newbery award winners are always very interesting to me.  Even though the award is geared toward young readers, I sometimes think they are more appropriate for older kids.  This particular book would be wonderful for readers in grades four, five, and six.  Of course middle-school readers will also enjoy it.  I know I'm going to pass the book on to a student in my room that plays basketball and know he will enjoy it.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment