Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Frostbite Hotel by Karin Adams...

How I Heard About It:  This was another novel that I received from Netgalley.  I got the email many months ago, and finally got it in the last couple of days.  I read it electronically, but now that I have I want to get a hard copy for the classroom.

What It Is About:  Kirby is reading a book on how to be successful in business.  He wants to be just like William T. Williamson who is a hotel magnet and worth billions.  He and his best friend decide to "build" a hotel on the playground during recess.  This works out great because they have got gotten a large amount of snow and all the kids love making forts.  Kirby and Melvin are not only going to build a snow fort, they are going to build a snow hotel.  Kirby thinks this will be great, but realizes quite soon that building and running a "business" isn't as easy as William T. writes.  He has staffing problems, supply problems, customer problems, and competition problems.  The worst part of it all is that he realizes their business secrets may be being leaked to the sixth graders by someone on his very own team.

What I Thought Of It:  This was such a refreshing story.  There was no real sadness.  There were no real problems.  There was no real dysfunction.  This was a good old story with a great "simple" story line.  But it also kept me interested through the entire novel.  It was fun to read about a group of kids trying to make it big on the "playground" and create the best snow hotel possible.  I like the mystery of the "leak" and also enjoyed the relationship between Marvin and his little sister.  The book was a pleasant surprise and I'm just sad that it took me so long to get to it.

Who Should Read It:  Frostbite Hotel is the perfect story for readers in third, fourth, and fifth grade. I'm excited to introduce this book to my students in fourth grade.  It can be read by individual students and/or would make a wonderful read aloud in classroom in these grade levels.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment