Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, March 21, 2015

We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas...

How I Heard About It:  I had seen this book written up earlier this year.  I added it to my TBR list.  When I was at the library I saw it on the audio shelf.  I had twelve hours coming up to travel to UNL for dad's weekend at my daughter's college.  The audio was about 18 hours long so I thought this would be the perfect novel to listen to.  

What It Is About:  This is not an easy story to sum up.  It is long, epic, and complex.  The book follows the life of Eileen.  She is born in 1941 to Irish parents who live in Queens.  Her early life isn't easy.  As a young girl she vows to make a better life for herself.  When she meets Ed Leary, she believes she has found her ticket to a better life.  He is a smart and educated man.  They marry and begin their life together.  Eileen and Ed have a son named Connell.  Eileen is excited to improve their life, get out of Queens, and have the existence that she always wanted.  As the years go by, Eileen begins to see a different side of Ed.  She tries to be patient, but Ed progresses in the wrong way.  After getting a medical diagnosis, Eileen and Ed navigate difficult waters.  The rest of the story follows them into their later life and Connell's life as a young adult.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was the perfect book to listen to on a long road trip like that one I took.  I got completely engrossed in this story and enjoyed every audio CD of the eighteen.  There are many parts of this story that I could relate to personally and that made for an interesting read.  It is beautifully written and the characters become part of your soul.  I still find myself thinking about Eileen, Ed, and Connell.  This will be a novel that I will be telling my friends all about. 

Who Should Read It:  Readers that enjoy a great fiction story need to spend time with this novel.  I would think the reader should be an avid one because this story comes in at over 600 pages.  If you like family and character strong stories, than you will completely enjoy this book.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment