Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein...

How I Heard About It:  This book has been sitting in my TBR pile for almost a year or so.  I first heard about it via Twitter.  I actually bought it for my kids to read on vacation last year, but they never did.  I finally got around to it in the past few weeks or so.  

What It Is About:  Verity is a spy during World War II.  She has become great friends with a female pilot named Maddie.  When they crash in enemy territory, things don't look good for them.  The Nazi's want Verity to confess all of her secrets and what her mission was.  If she does not, they will execute her.  As she writes a series of letters, she details her life, her past, and how she and Maddie became the best of friends.  She hopes that this confession will save her life.



What I Thought Of It:  I had heard such great things about this novel.  I was excited to read it.  When I found it at the library on audio, I decided to listen to it during my commute.  I'm not sure why, but this story did not grab me and I never really truly enjoyed it.  I found it quite slow and hard to follow the story line.  After awhile I didn't care much about the plot, but continued to listen day after day so I could finish it.  It was my hope that things would "click" and I would start to enjoy the story.  For whatever reason, this did not happen.  I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, so maybe that was part of the reason.  

Who Should Read It:  Being a young-adult novel, this would be perfect for high school and college level readers.  I know many adult readers have read the novel and enjoyed it.  Readers that enjoy historical fiction, World War II, pilots, spies, and espionage will find this an excellent read.  It always amazes me how the same book can reach certain readers and doesn't for others.  I guess that is the marvelous aspect of reading.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  2 STARS out of 5 Stars






2 comments:

  1. I am sorry that you did not enjoy this as much as I did. I too listened to the audio, but I also had a print copy of the book. There were segments that I re-read more than once (including the book jacket, which confused me from the beginning) By the end, I was so involved in the characters that I can remember the exact place where I was in an unfamiliar town when a pivotal event occurred. I almost had to pull over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. So many people did. It just didn't do it for me. Funny thing about books and readers.

    ReplyDelete