Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Island of Dr. Libris by Chris Grabenstein...

How I Heard About It:  Several years ago I began the school year with Mr. Lemoncello's Library as our first read aloud.  Not only did I love it, but my fourth graders enjoyed it also.  I was excited to see a new book by Chris Grabenstein on the shelves so of course I bought it.  I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon reading it.

What It Is About:  Billy's parents are having some issues so he goes to spend the summer with his mother at a cottage on an island.  His father is going to remain in the city.  Billy isn't happy about this, but doesn't have much of a choice.  On arrival he finds out there isn't any television or electronics.  Billy is glad to have his phone, but after he shatters the phone he is left with nothing.  Or so he thinks.  Billy and his mother are staying at the cottage of Dr. Libris and has quite an extensive library in the home.  Billy's mother suggests he explore the library and find a good book to read since he has nothing else to do.  After some time in the library, Billy realizes things are not as they appear.  After finding a magic key, he unlocks a magical world where famous book characters come to life.  He travels to the small island across the way and spends time with these "characters".  When the neighbor boy finds out what Billy is doing, he includes him on these wild and imaginative adventures.  The two boys experience wild tales with a variety of fictional friends all the while Dr. Libris keeps an eye on them to see if they will fit his "experiment."  

What I Thought Of It:  Today was the first day I was able to get out on my porch and read this entire book on a beautiful spring day.  Grabenstein has produced another masterpiece and a story that young readers will enjoy.  Any story that encourages books, readers, characters, and authors is a winner in my opinion.  The focus on imagination, creativity, and reading was one message and theme I can get behind.  I loved all the adventure and "experiences" these two boys had on the island of Dr. Libris.  I can't wait to share this new title with my fourth graders.  

Who Should Read It:  As with Mr. Lemoncello's library, this is the perfect novel for readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth grade.  These children will be able to handle this novel with ease and enjoyment.  The chapters are quite short which will be appealing.  Kids will also find all the adventure and mystery fun to read about.  I know they will want to find out how everything ends just as much as I did.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment