Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Wonder Wednesday #110 (NTCE Here I Come)...

Wonder Wednesday - NTCE Convention






I'm still so surprised sometimes about the professional journey I have taken during the last few years.  I use to be a teacher who loved to read and share that passion with my students.  I was somewhat alone on this path, but I didn't mind.

After discovering Twitter and the Nerdy Book Club, my whole world changed.  Last December I was attending a workshop by Donalyn Miller.  We discussed that NCTE was going to be held right here in Minneapolis.  I was thrilled that I might have the opportunity to meet so many of my Twitter friends; both teachers and authors.  It was exciting to think that I could attend this convention and listen to some awesome speakers.

Donalyn mentioned I should join their group that would be submitting a proposal to the NCTE committee.  I was in shock.  What did I know about presenting at such a large conference.  After some careful thought I decided to step out of my comfort zone and join this incredible group.

This week I learned that my school and district would be willing to pay for me to attend this convention and cover my reserve teacher days.  I realized this really was going to happen.

At the end of November I will be on a panel with Donalyn Miller, Colby Sharp, Katherine Sokolowski, Teri Lesesne, Brain Wyzlic, Shanetia Clark, Cindy Minnich and Jessica Lefshitz.  Just typing those names, gives me butterflies in the pit of my stomach.  How did this little teacher from the Minneapolis area get to this spot with the "big wigs"?

I'm excited for this opportunity.  I'm nervous for the experience.  I know it will be an incredible chance for me to continue my journey from being a "lone nerd" to being a "social nerd"!

You can be sure I will be blogging the "road" to the convention and all that happens from now until the big event.

Hope to see you there!  Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment