Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Friend Friday #114 (The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom)...

Hi!  I’m Shannon and I’m read the book called, The Kitchen House written by Kathleen Grissom.


I think this book is intense, intimate and interesting because of the tie it makes to history and a deep story line that captures you from the very beginning.    


My favorite part in the story is the relationship between Lavinia and her “adopted” family and how it ebbs and flows throughout the book!  It made me feel as if I were right there with her experiencing the love and the loss, the ups and the downs, and the joys and sorrows. 


The character that I liked best was Mama because I really felt like she held the family together with her determination and love.  I respected her for her values and worth ethic and her ability to inspire others. 


I think the author wrote this book because she was interested in the history of the use of slaves on farms and plantations in the late 1700’s.  I think she wanted to write a novel that depicted the emotions around the history. 


I would recommend this book to my friends because it’s captivating, emotional and thought provoking. 


Reading to me is a way to unwind and relax.  I love the feeling of being lost in a book and unable to put it down.  I’m almost always disappointed when a book ends because I have immersed myself so deeply in the plot!  


*Shannon is a dear friend.  She and I taught together for many years.  Her family has since moved to Colorado.  It has been so satisfying to share book titles with her, have her read them, and love them as much as I do.  This is a favorite for Shannon and myself.    






 

No comments:

Post a Comment