Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Angels Burning by Tawni O'Dell...

How I Heard About It:  Tawni O'Dell is one of my favorite adult authors.  Her novels Backroads and Coal Run are two incredible stories.  If you haven't read them, be sure to.  As I was browsing Net Galley I came across this title.  It will be released on January 5th, but I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy.  

What It Is About:  Dove Carnahan is the police chief of a small town.  After the body of teenage girl is discovered out in a field, Dove is faced with the biggest case of her career.  The girl came from a large "redneck" family that has more problems than they do family members.  They also host a whole array of issues and problems.  Dove and an agent named Nolan team together to solve the case.  They not only have a professional relationship, but a personal one that has been going on for years.  During this current investigation Dove learns that the man convicted of murdering her mother has been released from prison after spending years there for a crime he insists he didn't commit.  Dove and her sister Neely have held a family secret since the day their mother was killed.  Now that this man has returned to town, they fear the secret will be revealed.  Dove tries to get everything together as she deals with her professional crime she is trying to solve, and her personal demons that she doesn't want to return.  

What I Thought Of It:  I love when I find an author that I can always depend on.  That is the case with Tawni O'Dell.  I have enjoyed all of her novels and this one was just as great.  The story moves along quickly with many fascinating characters.  The two different mysteries that were intertwined throughout the novel were intriguing and left me guessing until the answers were finally unveiled at the end of the story.  The plot keeps moving because of the mysteries that keep unfolding, but the story is also about strong and real people dealing with everyday life.  Lessons about life, love, and overcoming hardships are beautifully written about.

Who Should Read It:  If you have not read anything by Tawni, this would be an excellent one to begin with.  You just need to wait until January 5th.  Any of her novels would make for a satisfying read.  All of her stories have some sort of mystery/conflict, but more than that, they are about people trying to make their life better and make amends with the others they hurt.  Her novels are definitely for the adult reader.  Female readers may enjoy her stories more, but as I male reader myself, I find them wonderful.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment