Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Confessions of an Imaginary Friend by Michelle Cuevas...

How I Heard About It:  I believe it was during NCTE15 that I first heard about this novel.  I think it came up a couple of times and I put it in the back of my mind.  While checking out books at the public library, I saw the book and added it to my pile.  I spent this morning reading the entire story and loved every minute.  

What It Is About:  Jaques Papier is the brother to Fleur.  Everyone loves Fleur and doesn't seem to notice or like Jaques.  Everywhere they go Jaques appears to be "invisible" to everyone around him.  He can't quite figure out why this is happening.  Jaques begins a quest to find the answers and is surprised to find out he is actually an imaginary friend to Fleur.  He isn't sure what this means, but is about to find out.  His quest brings him on an adventure where he meets other imaginary friends, other kids that need him, and a few peculiar friends along the way.  The lessons he learns center around what truly makes us visible and important to others.  His journey is one of self-discovery, self-reflection, and self-realization.

What I Thought Of It:  This was such an enjoyable and special read.  I began it this morning and finished it a couple hours later.  The story was unique and quite fun.  I loved the writing style because it was fresh and lively.  Jaques was such a wonderful character and brought such life to the story.  The perspective of the story from Jaques' viewpoint was insightful and interesting.  I've never had an imaginary friend but after reading the story, I think it would be kind of fun and magical to have one.

Who Should Read It:  Children who are in grades three, four, and five would be perfect readers for this book.  The chapters are short, there are illustrations used throughout the story, and there isn't a lot of text on each page.  The story would also make for a fun and engaging read aloud for the elementary classroom.  Teachers, librarians, and other adults that enjoy middle-grade books have to read this one.  They will find such enjoyment.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment