Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon...

How I Heard About It:  This was a title that kept popping up on Twitter.  I would also notice it at the book store whenever I was shopping for books.  While at an author event here in town (Erin Soderberg), I finally bought the novel a few months back.  This was my first young-adult book for 2016.  What a book to start with!  

What It Is About:  What would it be like to be confined to your home for your entire life?  Something most of us could not imagine.  But for Madeline this is a way of life.  She has spent her entire life living within her home.  She is "allergic" to the world.  Her mother and nurse Carla are the only people Madeline can actually interact with.  She and her mother have built a life that works for them, but that is about change when Olly moves in next door.  Madeline and Olly begin their "relationship" via the window, then via email and instant messenger, and finally in person.  Carla arranges for Olly to visit the home while taking the necessary steps to protect Madeline.  As the two teenagers get to know each other their feelings deepen and they become instant friends if not more.  Madeline begins to learn about Olly's family life and is horrified to learn that his father is abusive.  She is witness to some of these attacks from her bedroom window. The more time that these two spend together, the more Madeline realizes she wants to truly "live" her life.  She makes a major decision and leaves the house, without her mother knowing, and runs off with Olly.  This adventure will have both negative and positive consequences for both Madeline and Olly.

What I Thought Of It:  This is one of the best YA books I've read in a long time.  I could not put it down once I started a few days ago.  The beginning was intriguing because of Madeline's disease and being confined to her home.  Then I was fascinated with the growing relationship between Madeline and Olly.  I loved them both so much.  The last third of the story had a twist of all twist which kept me racing until the end of the book.  The story was well-written and was such an interesting premise. The best part was that I was not expecting any great surprises in the story, but of course I was off the mark on that one.

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect book for both young adult readers and adult readers.  The writing is top-notch, the story is stellar, the characters are endearing, and the plot is quite shocking.  It all has the elements of a 5+ story and should be experienced by all readers.  I look forward to seeing what else this talented author comes up with.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment