Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Paper Towns by John Green…

How I Heard About It:  You would have to be living under a rock not to have heard of John Green.  After reading Fault in Our Stars, I made it a goal to read all of the author's works.  I've read many of them and this was the latest.  I listened to the story on audio.  

What It Is About:  Margo Roth Spiegelman and Quentin Jacobsen have known each other all of their lives.  They have grown up next door to each other.  While Margo took the "popular" route in high school, Quentin took another path and wasn't quite in the mainstream.  He admired Margo from a far, but she was living a different life from him.  One night she shows up at his house and requests his presence on an all-night "mission."  She explains that this is a mission of revenge.  Quentin joins her on a crazy night of various stops and various acts towards different high-school "friends".  When Quentin shows up to school the next morning, he learns that Margo has disappeared.  He makes it his job to find her.  He is under the assumption that she has left him messages and clues to find her whereabouts.  While Quentin should be enjoying prom, parties, and graduation, he instead devotes all of his time to locating his life-long friend.  

What I Thought Of It:  The audio version of this story was enjoyable.  I thought the narrator did a wonderful job and was quite easy and pleasing to listen to.  The plot moved along quickly and kept me interested throughout the entire story.  Quentin and Margo were unique characters and drew me into the story.  I also thought Quentin's buddies were awesome and made me laugh on more than one occasion. I wouldn't say this was John's best novel, but it certainly was very good and I enjoyed it.  

Who Should Read It:  If you have read the other John Green novels, but not this one, I would suggest you do.  It is a great story and different from the other books.  The novel is just right for the high-school reader and adult readers who enjoy young-adult fiction.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment