Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 5, 2016

The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun David Hutchinson

How I Heard About It:  Earlier this year I read We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson and found it to be an excellent and thought-provoking read.  I had never read anything by this author, but after reading that novel, I looked into what else he wrote.  I found this title and downloaded it to my iPad via the 3M Cloud Library.  I started the book last night and finished this morning.  "Unputdownable" as they say!!! 

What It Is About:  Andrew Brawley lives in a hospital.  Well, he doesn't really live there, but is hiding out there.  His parents and younger sister were brought to the hospital after a terrible accident that Andrew blames himself for; and they never left.  He decided to remain in the hospital so that he can be "close" to his family.  Andrew learns how to blend in and become one with the surroundings of the hospital.  He gets a job in the cafeteria, hangs with the ICU staff, and becomes friends with two young people that are battling cancer on the Pediatric wardIn order to escape from his own pain, he works on a graphic novel telling the story of a character with "super powers".  Andrew also tries to help all the power around him in the hospital.  When Rusty arrives after a burn accident, Andrew is drawn to him for a variety of reasons.  The more Andrew tries to run and hide from his past, the more it begins to catch up with him with consequences not only for himself, but for those he is trying to save. 

What I Thought Of It:  Somewhere I saw the world "Unputdownable" and that describes this novel perfectly.  After starting the book in the late afternoon yesterday, reading very late in to the night, and up early this morning; I finished it last this morning.  From the moment I started the book, I knew it was going to be one of those reads when you just can't stop.  This was such a captivating and gut-wrenching story.  There were so many complex and intricate moments woven throughout the story.  Some of it felt realistic fiction, some of felt fantasy, and some of it felt mystery.  The character of Andrew was like none I've ever read about.  The author did such a beautiful job of bring him to life and connecting him to the reader.  I had so many emotions while reading this story and I didn't want it to end.  I will for sure be reading more works by Shaun David Hutchinson. 

Who Should Read It:  I absolutely love to share book titles with my reading friends.  This is the newest title that I will be sharing with everyone.  This is the perfect novel for adult readers that enjoy young-adult fiction.  It is also the perfect novel for high-school readers.  They will be able to relate to so many of the characters in this story and what they are going through.  I highly recommend this book and know that you will enjoy it as much as I did.  Happy Reading! 


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment