Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier

How I Heard About It:  You would have to be living under a rock, or a complete nonreader, to not have heard about this newest release from one of the best graphic novel authors.  I have been so excited to get my hands on this book from Raina.  I met her at #NerdCampMI and that made it even more exciting to read it.  

What It Is About:  Catrina and her family have just moved to a new town in California.  This move is mostly because of her younger sister Maya.  Maya is sick and the environment and air will be better for her.  Catrina knows it is the right thing to do, but is finding the transition difficult.  Everyone in the town is obsessed with ghosts and a traditional holiday where these ghosts mix with their living loved-ones.  Catrina wants nothing to do with the ghosts, but her sister is intrigued and will stop at nothing to find, meet, and interact with them.  With the help of their new friend, Carlos, the ghosts bring both goodness and "badness" to the lives of these two sisters.  

What I Thought Of It:  This is another sure-fire hit from the queen of graphic novels.  This was a cool read because it was so different from her other books.  It was not based on her own life.  The relationship between the sisters was complex, real, and touching.  I really enjoyed the character of Carlos.  At times, I wasn't so sure of the "Ghosts", but after some deep thinking and connecting, I realized how important they were to the overall story.  It always amazes me when parents and some teachers think graphic novels aren't real reading.  I actually think sometimes it takes more of an advanced reader to truly appreciate and understand all that is going on.  

Who Should Read It:  I will be adding this graphic novel to my classroom collection on Monday.  In fact, I will be doing a book talk and drawing during our reading workshop.  The story is perfect for readers in upper elementary and of course middle-school.  I'm thinking even high school readers would enjoy all of Raina's stories.  There are plenty of adult readers that do.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment