Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, September 8, 2016

Life Lesson #1 (Brains Win)

"Brains Win"

*This is the first Thursday of our school year together and that means it is "Life Lesson" Thursday.


*Each Thursday I share a short video clip with my writers.  The clip has some type of "lesson" I want to share and teach my fourth graders.  



*I set aside time during each day for us to work in our writer's notebooks. 



*We talk about what types of writing we can do in the notebook.  Here are some of the possibilities...



-What we notice in the video
-What we wonder about
-Connections we have to the video
-Thoughts, feeling, emotions about the video clip
-Reminders we have from the lesson/message
-Create a fiction story about the video



*Once the video is shared with the writers, we spend a few minutes "talking" about what we observed.



*My writers set up their HEADING in the notebook and we get busy writing.



*During the start-up of the year, I have my students write for about five minutes.  We slowly build our stamina for writing and slowly add time to the writing block. 



*At the end of the individual writing time, we call on a few volunteers to share their actual writing and/or further thoughts about the video we watched and wrote about.

*If there is time, I sometimes share the video clip with my class at the end of the writer's notebook time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment