Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Wonder Wednesday #157 (The Power of Our Words)

Wonder Wednesday - The Power of Our Words

*I know this activity has been around for quite some time, but I just recently heard about it and saw it on Twitter this past summer.

*I loved the idea of it and what it hopefully teaches our young people.

*Each small group gets a paper plate and small tube of toothpaste.

*My students took turns squeezing out the toothpaste onto the plate until it was as empty as they could get it.


*Then I gave each student a tooth pick and gave them the challenge of putting all the paste back in the tube.  They looked at me like I was CRAZY!  But they accepted the challenge and got to work.

*After the activity, we gathered as a group and I shared the picture book Mr. Peabody's Apples by Madonna.

*When the story was finished, I had the groups meet again and see if they could get any more toothpaste back in the tube.

*As they were working this final time, I started to hear some conversations that this is like the character in the book trying to gather the feathers that had been released into the world.

*The final portion of the lesson was to come back as a class and discuss how the story and the activity relate to the power of our words and how once those words are out in our community, it is really hard to take them back.

*The whole process was wonderful and one that I will use for years to come.

*Here is a look into the activity that we shared together...










Once our WORDS are out there, they can't be taken back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment