Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath

How I Heard About It:  This is another title that I've had in my classroom library for years, but never read myself.  A friend of mine who is not a teacher, but enjoys reading middle-grade fiction; mentioned the title to me and shared how much she enjoyed the story.  I checked it out of the public library and my wife and I listened to it on a car trip to Lawrence, Kansas to see our son.  

What It Is About:  Primrose has been left an orphan.  She knows this is a temporary situation because she knows her parents will return.  They were lost at sea and everyone in town believes they are dead.  Primrose begins to live with Miss Perfidy who babysat her when her parents were around.  They do not like each other, but try to make the best of it.  When they realize the living arrangements won't work for either of them, an uncle is found that she can live with.  The uncle and Primrose aren't sure about each other at first, but slowly warm up to the idea of making a new "family".  Uncle Jack actually puts some stock into Primrose's belief that her parents are alive.  All the characters seem to end up at the local restaurant called "The Girl in the Swing" where all the food choices are served on waffles.  After a couple of "accidents" Primrose is taken away from Uncle Jack and has to start over.  She continues with her belief that her parents will return to her and they can be a family again.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a completely enjoyable read/listen.  Both my wife and I truly enjoyed it.  The narrator was top-notch and so easy to listen to.  The plot moved along at a perfect pace and kept our interest for the entire story.  The cast of characters were excellent, unique, and brought such life to the story.  Primrose was such a spunky girl and kept the best attitude through many unfortunate events.  She held true to her convictions and we rooted for her the entire story.  I'm glad I finally read/listened to the story because it was quite good.  This was my first Polly Horvath novel, but I know I will check out more of her books.    

Who Should Read It:  This would be the perfect story for any reader in grades four, fix, and/or six.  Because Primrose was such a major part of the story, female readers may tend to gravitate toward the book over male readers.  I also think it would make for an excellent read aloud.  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment