Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Scourge by Jennifer A. Nielsen

How I Heard About It:  The more connections I make with authors, educators, and librarians around the country, the more I learn about new books long before they are released out into the world.  This was one such title that I learned about way before the releases.  I waited patiently and was thrilled when I was able to buy my own copy and experience the magic of Jennifer A. Nielsen.  

What It Is About:  There is a deadly plague traveling across the land.  Ani is out on her own navigating the land, when she is captured by the "Governor's" people and locked up.  She is surprised when they want to test her for the plague called "Scourge".  When her tests come back positive, she knows they are wrong and wants to find out they are saying she has the plague.  Ani is sent to an island known as the "colony" where all the people with the disease are sent to live out their final days.  With the help of her best friend, Weevil, she sets out on a mission to find out about this deadly "Scourge", the people that are holding the ill prisoners on the island, and who or what is truly going on.  

What I Thought Of It:  Jennifer's "False Prince" series is one of my favorite fantasy series.  I was so excited to read this newest story.  It did not disappoint.  The protagonist was a female this time around and it was a refreshing change of pace from the earlier books.  The premise of the story was unique, intriguing, and suspenseful.  I was quite busy these last few weeks so it took me awhile to read, but had I had more time I know I would have plowed through the book.  Ani was an awesome character that showed courage, strength, and creativity.  There were lots of twists, turns, and surprises along the way. The whole idea of the "Scourge" was fascinating to read about and I know young readers will feel the same.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel to put into the hands of fans of Jennifer A. Nielsen.  They will love it just as they have loved all her other stories.  Readers in grades five and six will be able to handle the book on their own.  If you know of strong fourth grade readers, they will also be a great audience for the adventure.  Many adult readers raved about the book and now that I finished it, I can see why.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment