Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, November 28, 2016

Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom

How I Heard About It:  During a quick visit to the library, I came across this title and recognized the cover from reviews I have read in the past.  I didn't have much time to "research", but added it to my pile of audio books.  

What It Is About:  Can people without sight see things better than folks who have 20/20 vision?  Parker Grant certainly thinks so.  She lost her sight in a terrible car accident with her mother; who lost her life.  Parker adjusted to this loss with her father, but isn't sure she can adjust to life after his death.  She is left to live with some relatives.  Parker is determined to be like all the other high school kids.  She enjoys her friendships, her social life, and most of all her running.  She is even influenced by classmates to try out for the school track team.  When Scott reenters Parker's life after several years of her "cutting" him out, she is sent on a tail-spin.  Scott and Parker "dated" for a bit in middle school, but Parker ditched him after he hurt her more than she had ever been hurt.  Now that they are in high school, they need to figure out if either one of them can forget the past and move forward.  

What I Thought Of It:  I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed this young-adult novel very much.  I thought the story was fresh, interesting, and a blast to listen to.  The narration was excellent.  The character of Parker was fascinating and such an incredible individual.  The strength she showed throughout the story, shows what is possible for the human race.  I enjoyed "reading" about the different relationships she had with people and how she was the same and different with each one of them.  The story was both realistic and entertaining at the same time.  

Who Should Read It:  This novel would be perfect for the middle school and/or high school audience.  There are many elements they would be able to relate to.  The book has a character for every reader.  As for adult readers, I think they would enjoy it just as much as the target audience.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment