Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 5, 2017

The Kept by James Scott

How I Heard About It:  While at the public library I came across this title in the audio section.  The title and cover seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't remember where or when I knew of the book.  After reading the "blurb" I decided to give this novel published for adults a try.  

What It Is About:  The story takes place in the late 1800's/early 1900's.  The setting is upstate New York on a farm of a family where the mother is a midwife.  She has combined her profession with her personal life, but has kept this secret to herself.  Three men "invade" the property and kill the father and four of their children.  Elspeth returns to the farm to find the carnage.  She is sure her whole family has been murdered, but is to learn that one son, Caleb, has survive this horrific event.  Caleb's mother is injured and it is up to him to "nurse" her back to health.  Once they are both in better shape, they set off on a journey to find these horrific men and bring them to justice.  Both mother and son face many dangers along the way, but continue to rely on each other for support and survival.  They come up against some violent, mean, and terrifying people.  All the while they keep their eye on the end result of finding these three men that turned their lives into a nightmare.  

What I Thought Of It:  First off, I think it was a very good thing that I listened to this book on audio instead of reading the text version.  It was a long story, lots of description, and at times the plot moved along slowly.  The tone of the story was quite dark, depressing, and full of violence.  The writer did a tremendous job of setting the scene, the tone, and mood of this fictional tale.  The plot was developed without one detail left unwritten.  The story was unique and like nothing I've ever read.  In my opinion, it could have been a tad shorter, but listening to it was as hard as reading it might have been.  I could totally "visualize" the setting, the characters, and the path that these characters took.  

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a read for adult reader that like true literature, as my students call it.  The plot is slow moving, the characters are well developed, but the subject matter is quite dark, deep, and not for the faint of heart.  When I looked at reviews of the book it seemed readers really loved the story or had a hard time with hit.  I think I'm someone in the middle.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment