Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Before the Fall by Noah Hawley

How I Heard About It:  This had been a novel on my radar for quite some time.  Every time I saw it at the book store, I debated whether to buy it or not. I finally added it to my "request" list at the library.  The wait was long, but I finally get the CD case and began to listen to the story via my commute to and from work.  

What It Is About:  Take a small private luxury jet, a cast of characters, and a tragic plane crash; and you get a really strong and "engaging" fiction read.  There are two families on board, three flight crew, and a single man that doesn't know anyone on board.  After taking off from Cape Cod heading toward New York City, the jet goes down into the ocean.  No one should have survived, but the single man and a little boy fought the odds and lived.  The plot line goes back and forth sharing the stories of the passengers on board before the crash and what happens to the sole survivors after the "fall".  There are many theories of what happened that caused this jet to go down into the water.  One reporter, who has ties to a passenger, goes on a quest to expose what truly happened on board and who is responsible for the horrific "accident".  

What I Thought Of It:  Some stories/books are just pure joy to read and/or listen to.  This was one such book.  Is it a piece of "high" quality literature that will become a classic?  No!  Is it a fiction story that deals with real-life "issues" and explores the complexities of characters?  No!  But it is one heck of a story that leaves you wanting more each time you have to turn off the ignition of your car and head into work or the house.  It was complete fun to listen to and such a fascinating fictional tale. I'm glad I finally got the chance to see what all the "hype" was about.  

Who Should Read It:  I would recommend this book to any high school and/or adult reader.  I can't imagine any reader not enjoying the story.  There is something in the book for everyone.  A great story line, strong characters, and lots of mystery and suspense.  This would be the perfect novel for summer reading.  Happy reading!!!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment