Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson

How I Heard About It:  Somewhere along the way, I added this title to my TBR list on GoodReads.  I really can't remember where I saw or got the title from.  While looking at what I wanted to read next, I checked my "Cloud Library" app to see if this title was there.  It was.  After checking it out electronically, I began reading.  Not knowing or remembering much about the storyline, I was excited to see what the book was about...

What It Is About:  David and Leo.  Leo and David.  Each of these boys has a secret.  Each of these boys is suffering.  Each of these boys need someone to lean on.  When Leo begins going to David's high school, each of their lives will change dramatically.  Leo had a difficult time at his old high school and when "life" got too difficult for him, he made a change.  David isn't really understood by his parents or most of the kids at his high school.  He does have two friends that know him 100%.  When Leo defends David against the school bully, these two young men will form a friendship that will change their lives forever.  They will learn that each has their own history, own secrets, and own will to be truly who they are.  

What I Thought Of It:  I'm really glad that at some point this title was added to my TBR list.  It was a wonderful read and truly powerful story.  There were so many life "issues" presented in the story, but not shown in a preachy way.  The plot moved along at a perfect pace, the two main characters were heart-warming and endearing, and there was a surprise or two; which always makes for a terrific reading experience.  An important novel to be read by both young-adults and adults.  

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a perfect novel for the young-adult reader.  High school readers will gain so much from the story.  Any reader (male or female) that may be struggling with their identity should pick up this book and read it.  They can gain so much from David and Leo's story.  I will also be recommending the book to my adult readers

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment