Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Ginny Moon by Benjamin Ludwig

How I Heard About It:  The title and cover drew me to this review via our local newspaper.  The book received a glowing review.  I then saw it written up in a magazine as a "must-read".  As I was browsing "Hoopla" which is an audio app I use to check out books from the library, the title showed up and I downloaded it on the spot.  

What It Is About:  Ginny Moon is a thirteen-year old girl with autism.   She has spent the last five years living with her "forever" family after being taken away from her birth mother and her "baby doll".  Life with her mother wasn't easy.  Ginny not only had to take care of herself, but her "baby doll".  Her mother was often absent, doing drugs, and bringing in scary men.  Ginny learned to protect herself during these years.  Life is better with her new foster parents, but it isn't perfect.  They try to change Ginny and change her into something she isn't.  With the help of a friend at school, Ginny reaches out to her birth mother and they plan on meeting.  Ginny is determined to save her "baby doll".  Everyone around her thinks this "baby doll" isn't real, but Ginny knows differently.  She risks everything to find her mother and begin a new life with her.  Ginny is torn between the new life everyone would like to create for her and the old life with her "baby doll".  Can she have both or will she have to choose?  

What I Thought Of It:  This was my last audio novel of the school year and it was terrific.  I enjoyed the story and found myself looking forward to the comment to and from work.  It was interesting to listen to a story about an older autistic child.  Ginny was unique, special, and quite resourceful.  There we several surprises along the way which made it all the more interesting to read/listen.  There were pros and cons of Ginny's formal and present life and I found myself conflicted on what I wanted to happy to her.  The characters were complex, deep, and well-written.  The author did a tremendous job of describing what life is like for an autistic teen.  I will be recommending this book to all of my reading friends.  

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion this novel would be appropriate for both the adult and young-adult reader.  In some ways it read like a young-adult story, but I know was published for adults.  This is a strong piece of fiction and I know most readers will really enjoy the story of Ginny and her situation.  The novel is a perfect one for a summer read.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment