Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Rabbit Cake by Annie Hartnett

How I Heard About It:  I love to post book ideas and reviews on social media.  I also enjoy getting recommendations from other readers.  My friend Kristin from Atlanta replied to a book post I did on FaceBook.  She also suggested this title to me.  I downloaded it via Audio and listened on my way to and from Chicago for the Scholastic Reading Summit and ALA.  

What It Is About:  A family left behind by the "mother" can have a devastating effect on the remaining members of the family.  Each member of the Babbitt family handles the "disappearance" of their mom in different ways. Elvis relies heavily on science, facts, and time.  Her older sister Lizzie acts out in destructive ways that could both harm herself and family members.  Lizzie also suffers from "sleepwalking" just like her mother did.  Elvis and her sister Lizzie are not close and their relationship suffers once their mother is out of the picture.  Their father handles the loss of his wife by taking on some of her "behaviors" and brings in a pet bird that may or may not contain the spirit of her.  While Elvis is counting the days for her grieving process, she learns some of her mother's secrets which put her in a state of turmoil.  She relies on a physic to help her navigate some "muddy" waters.  Each family member must take this "journey" on their own while finding their way back together.  

What I Thought Of It:  Audio version was top-notch.  This story kept me company for a long drive to and from Chicago last week.  The narrator was wonderful and so easy to listen to.  The story was so many things.  It was party drama.  It was part family relationship.  It was part "fantasy" and magical.  Above all, it contained one of the most unique and special families I have read about.  I also enjoyed the several surprised that popped up throughout the book.  It certainly kept my interest.  

Who Should Read It:  This novel published for adults should be read by all adult readers.  I'm so glad that my friend Kristin suggested the title to me.  Since reading/listening and finishing the book I have been telling many of my reading friends about it.  For those readers that enjoy family literature will definitely enjoy the story of Elvis, Lizzie, and their father.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment