Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 23, 2017

No One Is Coming to Save Us by Stephanie Powell Watts

How I Heard About It:  While at ALA in Chicago I went to a general session where Sarah Jessica Parker was the guest speaker.  She was going to announce the book club selection for "Book Central".  It was going to be the inaugural book club pick.  This was the title she announced.  I was lucky enough to receive a complimentary copy on the exhibit hall.  It was excited to start a novel that I heard the author and SJP discuss while on the ALA stage.  

What It Is About:  The character of JJ has just returned to his hometown in North Carolina.  He has returned to build the home he has always wanted.  JJ would also like to reconnect with his past "love" Ava.  Upon his return he is surprised to learn that Ava is now married to Henry.  They don't have a perfect marriage, but she is trying desperately to have a baby.  As JJ acclimates himself, both to the town and the townspeople, he realizes how different everything and everyone is.  Ava's mom, Sylvia, tries not to interfere in her life, but doesn't always find it easy to do.  She is drawn to a man that is spending time behind bars.  All of their lives are at a point where they must make decisions and move from the past and towards a future where there are no definite answers.  

What I Thought Of It:  I recall sitting in the audience at ALA with such excitement listening to Sarah Jessica Parker and Stephanie Powell Watts talk about the novel.  I was anxious to get a copy for myself and begin reading.  There are some novels I know I'm going to love from the start.  There are other novels that don't necessarily grab me right away, but I slowly begin to enjoy the story.  Then there are some stories that I struggle with right off the bat and continue to do so throughout the entire read.  That is what happened with this novel.  I just couldn't find my groove.  I struggled to find a pace where I was understanding and enjoying the plot.  I usually blame myself when this happens.  Novels that are a little more "high brow literature" sometimes propose a challenge for me.  The writing was beautiful and well done.  I just couldn't connect to the characters and/or plot.  

Who Should Read It:  I've seen (on reviews) that many readers have enjoyed the book and given it high ratings.  I think the book may appeal to the adult female reader more than a male.  I also think it is geared towards readers that enjoy a bit of a slower read that really develops the characters, setting, and plot in detail.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  2 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment