Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, July 7, 2017

Solo by Kwame Alexander

How I Heard About It:  I was lucky enough to get two ARC's of Kwame's new young-adult novel.  The book will be released into the world in August.  The first ARC I received while on a boat party celebrating the release of the book.  This was while I was in Chicago for ALA.  The second ARC came from the publishing company as part of a launch team to get the word out there before the release.  Both were complete honors.  I can't wait to share the story with as many people as I can.  

What It Is About:  Blade Morrison is the son of a rock star.  Blade Morrison lost his mother at a young age.  Blade Morrison watched his father spiral out of control and partake in the life style of a true rock and roll legend.  Blade Morrison's older sister wants the career that her father had.  Blade Morrison has true musical talent, but isn't sure he wants to follow in his father's footsteps.  After a family secret is revealed to Blade, he becomes lost in an already confusing personal world.  He knows he must escape the madness, craziness, and lies.  Blade boards an airplane and heads for Africa.  It is here that he hopes to find the answers to his past, present, and future.  As hard as his past was, he finds this new beginning in a new country even harder.  He is faced with decisions that no seventeen year old should have to make.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I sat down this afternoon to begin the book, I knew it was going to be a special experience.  What I didn't realize was how special and unique the reading would be.  Solo was a magical read with some of the most beautiful writing I've ever read.  Typically "verse" is not my choice of writing style, but today Kwame's verse captured both my mind and heart.  I found myself rereading lines and passages to take in the language.  After awhile I was completely swept into the story of Blade, his father, and all that encompassed these two characters.  This will definitely be a story that I will return to and reread.  Pure brilliance!  

Who Should Read It:  I think all young-adults and adults should get a copy of this book and take in the journey of Blade.  There really is no other story like it.  I could see the book being used in a high school literature and/or poetry class.  There is so much to think about, discuss, and learn from.  I will be sharing both of my ARC's with all of my adult reader friends.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment