Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, August 3, 2017

ALA Convention 2017

ALA Summer Convention - Chicago

*Right after the Chicago Scholastic Reading Summit, I headed downtown to attend my first ALA convention.

*I was so excited to attend because I had heard such incredible things.

*The experience began with an afternoon hanging out with Donalyn Miller.  We had lunch, hit some bookstores, and wandered the city.  A group of friends got together at a German restaurant that first night.

*Friday I headed down to the convention center to take a gander and check it out.  We hit the exhibits for a bit and then were lucky enough to attend a book party for Solo by Kwame Alexander.  It was such fun hanging with friends, enjoying a delicious dinner, and listening to Kwame read.

*Saturday was a whirlwind of a day on the exhibit floor and attending a few sessions.  The highlights of course was connecting with some amazing authors.  I also attended a large session with Sarah Jessica Parker where she announced the first Book Central book club selection.

*Getting up early on Sunday was a bit difficult, but I wanted to hear Brene Brown speak at the first session of the day.  She was so motivating and inspiring.   Then it was back to the floor to connect with publishers, authors, and friends.

*Sunday night was a highlight because I attended my first ever Newbery/Caldecott Awards Dinner.  It was an amazing experience and one that I won't soon forget.  A perfect way to end the ALA experience.

*Here is a photo essay of my time in Chicago...




No comments:

Post a Comment