Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street by Lindsay Currie

How I Heard About It:  This was another title that had some Twitter "buzz".  I then saw that the author was creating a FaceBook page and became part of that.  This was my 17th book of my 21 Day/21 Book Challenge.  

What It Is About:  Tessa was enjoying life in Florida with her best friend, when her family announced they were moving to Chicago.  To make matters worse, they move into a very old home.  During the first few days living here, the family begins to notice strange "happenings".  At first they chalk it up to forgetfulness and the "move".  But then they realize something bigger is going on in this house.  Tessa isn't sure what to think, but is also trying to navigate her way around seventh grade.  After meeting a few new friends, she confides in them about some of the unusual events she has experienced at this house.  The friends decide to help her figure out the mystery of the "haunted" house.  One of them, in particular, has a fascination in paranormal activities.  The group of kids begin a hunt, an adventure, and a whole lot of research, to find out who the presence is in both the house and the local cemetery.  

What I Thought Of It:  I was excited to read this because of all the praise I was reading by fellow readers.  This was definitely a page-turner.  I haven't read a mystery in quite some time so it was extremely fun and enjoyable.  The characters were unique and interesting to read about.  The plot moved along at a terrific pace and kept my interesting for the entire read.  The overall mystery of the story kept me guessing right up until it was revealed.  As I was reading, I kept thinking how fun this book would be to share with my students during the month of October.  

Who Should Read It:  If you have readers in your class that enjoy a strong and suspenseful mystery, then this is the book for them.  The perfect age range is from fourth grade all the way up through middle-school.  As I mentioned earlier, this would be such a fun story to share around Halloween.  I think most children enjoy "scary" stories or ones that are full of mystery.  This one definitely has that.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment