Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Someday Suitcase by Corey Ann Haydu

How I Heard About It:  While browsing for books at a local independent bookstore with Donalyn Miller, Yes I'm name dropping, I came across this title.  I had read positive reviews and tweets about the novel so I decided to buy it.  

What It Is About:  Some kids have friends.  Some kids have good friends.  Some even have best friends.  Clover and Danny aren't any of these.  They are closer than most friendships.  There is something truly special about this fifth grade girl and boy.  They exist in a world where they can't survive without each other.  When Danny begins to miss school because of his "cold/cough, she isn't quite sure how to get through her day.  Everything just feels "off".  Once he returns to school, all is right with the world again.  Unfortunately Danny's illness gets worse and he ends up in the hospital.  Clover puts her science knowledge to use and decides to figure out what is wrong with her best friend and "cure" him.  What they each need is a bit of scientifically sound advice, medical intervention, and maybe a dash of magic.  

What I Thought Of It:  I need to be careful on where I read certain middle-grade books.  This one went with me to the neighborhood pool and there was more than one occasion where I was "drying" my eyes.  After reading, I can see why so many readers have been raving about the story.  It was real, meaningful, and full of beautiful moments between Clover and Danny.  I could feel Clover's willpower on wanting to help her best friend.  The author did an incredible job describing what fifth graders would feel and go through when dealing with difficult situations.  There was so much HOPE woven throughout the entire story.  I know that Clover and Danny will remain in my heart for quite sometime.  

Who Should Read It:  As I was reading the novel, I kept thinking on how this would be the best story to share with my fourth graders.  There are so many elements that would foster meaningful and deep conversations.  The characters are in fifth grade so those readers would be able to relate closely to the story.  This is definitely a novel that needs to be read, shared, and discussed.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment