Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth Laban

How I Heard About It:  This was a shot in the dark.  I came across the title on my Cloud Library app and checked it out via my public library.  I chose the audio version so I could listen while driving and mowing.  I knew nothing of the story, but was just in the market for a YA novel.  

What It Is About:  There are two narratives.  The first one is about Tim who is starting a new prestigious high school.  He is a bit nervous because he is an albino and knows how the "crowd" will react.  Been there, done that.  One his way to school he gets stranded with a girl named Vanessa.  Turns out she is the most popular girl at the new school with the most popular boyfriend.  Tim ends up really liking her, but she isn't sure if she can return those same feelings.  The following year a new senior attends this same school and "inherits" Tim's dorm room.  Inside the dorm room, Duncan finds a series of CD's that Tim left.  Tim narrates his "journey" with Vanessa and an incident that happens during his final year in high school.  While listening to the CD's, Duncan also experiences his own love interest and series of unexpected events.  

What I Thought Of It:  I listened to this on audio and thought it was an OK listen.  The narrator was really good.  The story was also good, but just not GREAT.  I did enjoy the story of Tim and Vanessa and Duncan and Daisy.  It was kind of cool how both narratives followed a similar path.  There were parts when I grew a bit bored, but then something would happen and catch my interest again.  Overall, I enjoyed the listening experience.  

Who Should Read It:  I can see high school readers enjoying the story of Tim and Duncan.  They would especially like it if they are attending a private school like the characters did.  There are lots of interesting aspects in the plot so I'm sure any reader would enjoy either in the written or audio form.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment