Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 15, 2017

The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

How I Heard About It:  I saw this novel published for adults pop up on several lists at the end of the summer.  I was in need of a new novel written for adults and ordered it from Amazon.  I began when it arrived in August, but got extremely busy with the start of the school year.  Time and other commitments didn't allow me to read as much as I would have liked.  I finally finished this incredible story about a week ago.  I'm still thinking about the main character and the life he lived.  

What It Is About:  Cyril Avery began his life with a young teenage mother who was "thrown out" of her Irish village.  While pregnant she ventured out on her own while leaving her family and members of her Catholic church behind her.  After giving birth to Cyril, she decides to give him up for adoption.  Mr. and Mrs. Avery are in "need" of a child and adopt him, but make it clear throughout his life that he isn't a "TRUE" Avery and only their adopted son.  He doesn't receive much love and/or support from either parent and learns to rely on himself.  As a young boy Cyril hears, sees, and experiences more than a young child should.  While his adopted father is dealing with "business", Cyril meets Julian Woodbead.  The two boys hit it off and years later, become classmates at a boarding school.  Cyril is conflicted on who is truly is and struggles with this "identity" for most of his life.  He and Julian cross paths throughout their life, remain steadfast friends, and lean on each other no matter how different they are.  

What I Thought Of It:  I have been reading more and more middle-grade novels which doesn't allow me to read as many "adult" novels as I use to.  It was so incredible to get back to a novel published for adult readers.  This one was a true winner.  I loved the writing style and found myself being transported back in time in different European locations.  Cyril was an amazing character and Boyne did a tremendous job of making him quite real and jump off the page.  I wouldn't say there was a lot of "action" throughout the story, but I was engaged throughout the entire reading experience.  One of the best well-told stories I've read in a long time (for adults).

Who Should Read It:   This is the perfect book for adult readers that enjoy strong character-driven stories.  You will NOT be disappointed.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment