Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, December 9, 2017

We are Okay by Nina LaCour

How I Heard About It:  This was a novel that has been on my reading radar for quite some time.  When I ran across it via my "Cloud Library" app through my public library, I downloaded and began listening to it via my commute to and from work.  I was excited to listen because so many of my reader friends had such awesome reviews of the story.  

What It Is About:  Marin tried to escape her "old" life on the west coast by running off to college on the east coast.  But no matter how hard she tries, she can't shake the memories of her life back "home" with her best friend Mabel and her dear grandfather.  Marin lost her mother at a young age, isn't sure who her father is, and has lived with her grandfather for as long as she can remember.  When Marin and Mabel become closer than either of them thought was possible, she isn't sure how to handle the feelings and/or deal with the relationship.  Marin thought she knew her grandfather better than anyone, but when a tragic "accident" occurs, she learns her entire life may have been one BIG lie.  While at college during winter break, Marin is forced to deal with her past when Mabel shows up at her door.  

What I Thought Of It:  A complete joy to listen to.  The narrator did an incredible job of telling the story of Marin, her grandfather, and Mabel.  The writing was gorgeous, beautifully, and engaging.  The two stories, Marin and her grandfather and Marin and Mabel, each stood alone; but also depended on each other as the pages unfolded.  Marin was a character that came to life because of the strong and deep writing.  There were several moments when I could actually feel her pain.  The story provided me several days of listening pleasure.  

Who Should Read It:   Amazon states the book is geared toward grades eight and up.  In my opinion, I would say it is better suited for high school readers and/or adult readers.  The pace of the story is more on the "slow" side so the reader has to be patient for events to unfold.  I've never read anything by Nina LaCour, but after this story I will be looking into her other works.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment