Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Soof by Sarah Weeks

How I Heard About It:  This book came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  It does not come out until October 9, 2018.  It is a long wait, but let me tell you it will be worth it.  Such a wonderful heartwarming story.  It is called the companion book to So B. It.  I haven't read the book yet, but now that I've read this one, I will be.  

What It Is About:  Aurora is currently in fifth grade and known as the "weird" girl in school.  In the early years, her parents had her tested for a multiple of possibilities, but everything was ruled out.  Aurora has enjoyed her life with her parents and beloved dog Duck.  When she finds out Heidi, a woman from her parents' life before she was born, she isn't sure how she feels about it.  She has grown up in the shadow of Heidi and isn't sure she can measure up.  When a tragedy strikes the family, tension arises between Aurora and her mother.  As Heidi's visit gets closer and closer, Aurora puts more distance between herself, her mother, and the image of Heidi and all that she stands for.  

What I Thought Of It:  I picked up the book this morning and pretty much read it in one sitting.  I found the story to be delightful, heartwarming, and touching.  As I mentioned above, I will definitely be reading So B. It now that I've read Aurora's story.  There were a few mentions of Heidi's story, but I'm curious to see how this all started.  Aurora was a strong, unique, and special character.  She had a lot of spunk and was definitely OK being who she truly was.  I was also drawn into the story with the chapter headings such as "more than a bird loves to sing", "more than a fish loves to swim", and "more than a bells loves to ring".  All readers will enjoy this story.  How can you not with a wonderful girl, a lovable dog, and some great twists and turns.  

Who Should Read It:   If readers have read So B. It, then they must read this companion story.  I have a feeling the two stories will tie so much together.  The book is perfect for readers in grades four, five, and/or six.  It could also be read by middle-school readers.  I think it would make for a strong read aloud and/or in the hands of individual readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment