Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Breakout by Kate Messner

How I Heard About It:  I have loved every Kate Messner novel that I've had the honor of reading.  This newest work of fiction came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  I had heard some positive reviews that I was quite excited to read the story.  What amazes me about Kate's writing is how different each story is from the other ones.  This particular plot stands out from all the other ones.  

What It Is About:   The reader is taken to the small town of Wolf Creek where there is a correctional institution.  Nora and Lizzie are two of the main characters.  They are working on a time-capsule project with their other classmates.  Their newest classmate is Elidee who is brand new to their school.  She and her mother have moved to Wolf Creek to be closer to her brother because he is an inmate at the prison.  All three girls are unnerved when two inmates escape and are feared to be on the loose in Wolf Creek.  Each girl reacts to the situation quite differently, but in the end wants the safety of all the community members.  The characters process their emotions via the time-capsule project through a series of letters, text messages, emails, articles, poems, and a variety of other written formats.  

What I Thought Of It:  I'm always amazed when I open the cover of a Kate Messner novel and enter the world she has created.  This reading experience was so different from any other I've had when I was in the company of a Messner novel.  The format of the text was what captured my attention the most.  It was interesting to get to know each girl though their writing, projects, and thoughts.  I also was impressed with how Kate wove in so many important real-life issues into this fictional story.  She dealt with the issues with honor, grace, and dignity.  Each character was realistic, authentic, and relatable.  What a great and fun reading experience!  

Who Should Read It:  At 433 pages, this is a longer piece of fiction compared to some of the other Messner novels.  In my opinion, I think the book is best suited for readers in grades five and/or six.  Of course middle-school readers would be a perfect audience for the story.  I know they will be drawn to the format of the book and enjoy all the different types of writing by each of the three characters.  Adult readers that enjoy middle-grade novels, will definitely want to put this title on their TBR list.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment