Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, May 7, 2018

Lawn Boy by Jonathan Evison

How I Heard About It:  After reading several positive reviews, I picked this novel for my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a small group of male teachers that I work with.  We read about a book a month.  I downloaded the title via the Hoopla app which works with my local library.  

What It Is About:   Mike Munoz is a young man from Chicago living in the state of Washington.  He is in his early 20's, still living with his mother, and takes care of his younger brother who is overweight and Downs.  Mike's mother does everything she can to make ends meet, but it isn't easy.  Mike has found a passion, and talent, for caring for yards.  After he gets fired from his lawn job, Mike wanders from job to job.  He wants to make the most of his life, but finds this a difficult task.  While he searches for the perfect occupation, he struggles with family issues and personal relationships.  Mike wants to believe the best in people and the world; but his luck or lack of it, makes this difficult.  

What I Thought Of It:  I enjoyed this audio novel.  It was completely enjoyable and an easy listen.  The narrator was wonderful.  There were quite a few "laugh out loud" moments.  The character of Mike was real, authentic, and likable.  I also found him to be realistic.  Overall, there wasn't a lot of action, but the author did throw in a few surprises here and there.  I am looking forward to my next book club when I can see what the other readers thought of the story.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect story for both the female and male adult reader.  I can't see why anyone would not enjoy this story.  It is well written, has strong characters, and an engaging plot.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment